Thursday, December 10, 2009

An American Girl Christmas - Day #4

An American Girl Christmas
based on the books from Pleasant Company Publications.

This past week (Monday to Thursday), I taught a class called "An American Girl Christmas". The plan was to focus on a different American Girl each day. We learned a little about the time period, did writing activities, studied paintings from the time period, sang a couple of songs, and completed some handicrafts. The youngest girl in my class was 7 years old, while the oldest was 12.

Most of the activities that I used were from books published by Pleasant Company. I was able to find some at my local library and others were found at Amazon. At the bottom of this post I will put links for all of the books I used.

Here is a summary for today.

Thursday - Molly 1944

Copywork

"They had their traditional Christmas Eve supper of scrambled eggs, bacon, hot chocolate, and cinnamon toast before they hung their stockings on the mantle. Mom read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" just as Dad read it every year."

Music Study
I'll Be Home for Christmas

Picture Study

Christmas Homecoming by Norman Rockwell 1948

Snack
Popcorn (made the old fashioned way on top of the stove - not in a microwave)
Movie
We watched "Molly- An American Girl on the Homefront"
We talked about what a big deal it was for a girl like Molly to go to the movies.
Although we didn't watch the whole movie, my goal was for the girls to see the Christmas section of the movie. They did get to see part of the movie, but we ran out of time.






No comments: