Monday, December 7, 2009

An American Girl Christmas - Day #1

An American Girl Christmas
based on the books from Pleasant Company Publications.

This past week (Monday to Thursday), I taught a class called "An American Girl Christmas". The plan was to focus on a different American Girl each day. We learned a little about the time period, did writing activities, studied paintings from the time period, sang a couple of songs, and completed some handicrafts. The youngest girl in my class was 7 years old, while the oldest was 12.

Most of the activities that I used were from books published by Pleasant Company. I was able to find some at my local library and others were found at Amazon. At the bottom of this post I will put links for all of the books I used.

Here is a summary of today.

Monday Feliticy - 1774

Copywork - "Felicity stood on a stool to lift the ark down from its high shelf. The ark was a special toy they brougnt down only at Christmastide. All three children loved to play with the wooden boat and the small painted animals that went inside. Now they sat at mother's feet, happily lining the animals up in pairs."

Picture Study


Sewing project - Pincusion (Found in Felicity's Craft Book)
This was a worthwhile project. It took a long time to finish, but the pincusions came out beautifully and the girls really enjoyed working on them.


Music Study
Deck the Halls
Snack
I made a pound cake ahead of time and called it a Twelfth Night Cake. I did bake a bean into it and we had a girl who was "Queen of the Day".
Resources for today:





No comments: