Wednesday, December 9, 2009

An American Girl Christmas - Day #3

An American Girl Christmas
based on the books from Pleasant Company Publications.

This past week (Monday to Thursday), I taught a class called "An American Girl Christmas". The plan was to focus on a different American Girl each day. We learned a little about the time period, did writing activities, studied paintings from the time period, sang a couple of songs, and completed some handicrafts. The youngest girl in my class was 7 years old, while the oldest was 12.

Most of the activities that I used were from books published by Pleasant Company. I was able to find some at my local library and others were found at Amazon. At the bottom of this post I will put links for all of the books I used.
Here is a summary of today.


Wednesday - Addy 1874
Copywork
"When it was time to go back for dessert, Addy ignored all the cakes and pies and headed straight for Momma's sweet-potato pudding in the shining black skillet. As she savored each smooth sweet bite, she thought about Poppa, Sam and Esther."

Picture Study
The Underground Railroad by Charles T Webber; 1893

Craft - Picture Quilt
We looked at picture a picture quilt made by Harriet Powers in 1886. We discussed who she was and tried to identify as many Bible stories as we could from her quilt. Then the girls designed a quilt block using construction paper. The older girls did a great job with this, but I think the younger girls had a hard time understanding what to do. I should have finished one myself so they could see what the assingment was.


Cooking activity
Addy's Mini Sweet Potato Pies
Taken from the American Girls Party Book

Music study
Rise Up, Shepherd, and Follow


One of the advantages of homeschooling is that all ages can participate. My son who is 5 came into the room off and on to see what we were doing. Sometimes he would sit and do the activity with us. The nice part is that he was invited in - not by me, but by the girls who were participating. They pulled up a chair and asked him to be a part of what we were doing.






No comments: