Friday, March 7, 2008

California ruling

Okay, I need to vent here.
I just read the court opinion in the case from California. I am sick to my stomach over it. Why on earth do people think the government always knows what is best for our children?!?!?
The case itself is clearly a case of neglect and/or abuse. John Taylor Gatto says "few need so mandate all". Just because there are a few rare cases of abuse among homeschoolers, it should be illegal to homeschool for everyone???? Sending these kids to public school won't stop the abuse. Even if teachers report it, it won't stop it. I've seen that first hand over and over again. Ugh!!!
And why, because I have a teaching certificate, does that guarantee that I won't abuse my children???? What is the reasoning here?
I could go on here, but I'll restrain myself. One of these days I am going to write a book with my thoughts on this stuff.
I think HSLDA has a strong argument for homeschooling in this case - that the rights of all should not be determined by this one family. However, I think prayer and action are necessary.
Anyone else have any thoughts here? Thanks for letting me vent.

No comments: