Friday, October 23, 2009

Pet Memorial


Our beloved guinea pig died last night. It has been especially hard on DD10.

She loved the little piggy way before she ever got her.

DD10 wanted a guinea pig. I am not a pet person. I have a hard enough time taking care of my husband and three children, I am not interested in adding the responsibility of a pet to my daily tasks.

I told DD10 that if this is what she wanted, she had to do the research by getting a notebook and answering the following questions:

How much do they cost?

What do they eat and how much does that cost?

What kind of living arrangements to they need?

Do they require supplements?



I also made it clear to her that she had to use her money to pay for this thing and to buy it's bedding and food for the entirety of it's stay with us.

There were many more questions, but DD10 did her research and filled her notebook. Once the notebook was filled, I told her that if we were patient, we could probably get a free guinea pig from somewhere. Sure enough, one came available in the local paper. We also got a free cage.

So we brought Mina home. My daughter took care of that piggy like it were her child. She scrubbed the cage once (sometimes twice) a week, fed her, cared for her, geave her treats at Christmas, and so on.

She even kept Psalm 36:6 printed on her cage.

We woke up this morning to find that Mina went to be with God. It was heartbreaking to tell her that the guinea pig was gone. She sobbed all day and there was nothing I could do to take the pain away.

No comments: