Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Living My Dream

All my growing up, all I wanted to be was a teacher. I went to college, got my degree and teaching certificate and my first "real" teaching job in 1991. I found the love of my life in that same year and married in 1992. For 5 years, I struggled with teaching in the public schools. After that, I thought the private arena may be a better option for me. It was worse. The school I taught at was trying to get accredidation. I started to dream about opening my own school and following my philosophies in education. My sis-in-law homeschooled her kids. At first, I thought she was nuts. Then, I was inspired. I knew before I even conceived that I wanted to homeschool my kids.
Then I had kids. 2 beautiful girls 15 months apart.
And it was so.
Now my children are 10, 9, and 3. (The three year old was a surprise, but beautiful just the same.) My children are homeschooled and I am teaching them in ways that I have always dreamed of. I don't know of too many people who can say they are living their dream, but I am!!! I'm teaching in a more natural way not worrying about national standards or writing out lesson plans or being observed by the district administration or going to endless hours of in-service or keeping 30+ kids under control and entertained. This is what I've dreamed of. Just teaching and learning along with them. Talking with them about books we read and getting to experience their "aha" moments.
I am blessed.

No comments: